Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Learning new stuff...

Lily has been able to control her bladder for quite some time now (close to a year I think). She often wakes up dry and then fills her diaper after she wakes up. I put her on the potty several months ago, just to see how she'd respond. She got right off of it (while screaming) and squatted next to it and peed on the floor. She just didn't want to sit on it and was scared of it, so I hadn't put her on it since. At the end of last week she took her diaper off and peed on the floor, so I figured I'd try her on it after naptime just to see how she'd respond. Well after nap I put her on it right away (timing is everything) and she didn't do anything so I tried to take her off of it and she wouldn't let me. Sure enough, she peed in the potty and got up when she was done! She peed on it a couple of times after that (they were timed well). I'm not pushing the issue at all, I just wanted her to know what it was for and to not be afraid of it.

Today she actually BROUGHT ME the potty out of the bathroom for her to go! I was very excited. She knows what it is called and said "potty" a couple of times yesterday. I'm not expecting much and I'm not going into full bore potty training or anything but I just thought this was a great achievement! Most toddlers do not want to stop playing to go to the bathroom, the cause of most accidents (I think). Lily has a double helping of this, so I'm not sure how it will go when we do really start to get into potty training, especially since she hasn't been able to vocalize that need. We'll have to work on a sign for it I guess, but her other signs are so inconsistent now. When they become more consistent I think then will be a better time to really get into things. Until then, Hooray for the little achievements!!!

No comments: