Thursday, August 13, 2009

8-13-09

Lily of course, continues to do very well. Her speech is, in my opinion, remarkable for how far she's come in what I feel is a very short time considering the obstacles that she has been able to overcome. Yesterday I put her on the phone with my sister and told her to say "Hi Aunt Sonia", not only did she say that, but she added, "How are you, how are you doing?" I was floored to say the least. The other day we were washing her hands and she said "Too hot! Colder!" We were at the pool yesterday and before we left she continuously said "Bye" while waving to a group of teenage girls, (who sadly didn't even look up at her) but it was just another moment where she didn't need to be instructed as to what to do in a social situation.

I have kept Lily on her medication without altering it, even if sleep has been effected. I'm finally back to sleeping in my own bed!!! This has been a huge accomplishment, but also a very necessary one (Lily is a very "active" sleeper). I would not have been able to do it without Lily being on the trazodone though.
Lily still wakes in the night, sometimes putting herself back to sleep after some babbling, sometimes staying up for 2 or 3 hours. But when she has been up she does understand that it is time for bed, but sadly she just isn't tired. I try not to get up with her (been having the hubby do that if necessary, she seems to get too excited when she sees mommy...oh darn, lol).

Lily's been tantruming more often if she doesn't get her way, one typical two behavior I wouldn't have minded avoiding. Part of it is our fault. When she began being able to tell us what she wants, we would give it to her. This really helped reinforce Lily's drive to continue to learn and push herself. There comes a time though, that she can't always have ice cream.

In just two short months our two-year-old, will be a three-year-old. Seems so hard to believe!!
Next week she will have her evaluation for preschool. I really feel that she is ready for school and would greatly benefit from it. Depending on what our school options are, I may end up putting her in a regular classroom and tell them that she has some speech delay. At this point, I would be surprised if anyone would mention anything to me that would imply that she had any other difficulties other than some developmental delays. Lily doesn't understand a lot of basic questions yet, which may raise a flag, but other than that she's coming into her own.

No comments: