Wednesday, November 5, 2008

11/5/08

I continue to be amazed at all of Lily's progress! She is now starting to say sounds for things all by herself (after quite a bit of practice). She will say the 'ka" for cookie, if she wants more and she is starting to say mm for mickey and "ck' for duck and several other things. She is starting more spontaneous requests (signing more and also saying mmm along with it). She is actually starting to try to imitate more words now, where as before she wouldn't even try. She said a handful for new words today, not many were clear, but you knew what she was saying.

This morning she did the most amazing thing! I was going through some of her old things and she found an elephant that you pull on the cord and it makes it vibrate. I told her to go show it to daddy and she actually did! She walked up to him and demonstrated how it worked (without giving it to him, which shows she is learning what "show" means).

I was trying to get her out of the tub tonight and she shook her head no. This is something she has rarely done (say no to anything spontaneously), so of course I let her play for a few more minutes :) I'm so excited that she is finally learning that she can express that! She has been doing wonderful with her bedtime routine, actually cuing us in when she is ready for books and also when she is done she goes right over to her crib and tries to climb in! It's been great that she has actually wanted to take baths now, where as before she would cry and run from the bath (usually ok for a bit once she's in, but now she runs to the bath when we tell her it's bath time and loves to play and swim around).

We went to see a doctor in Tampa today who gave us a lesson in the Floor Time approach. I learned SO MUCH today and I am very excited to implement what I learned. Basically we need to play with Lily without asking her questions or giving her direction (commands). This was REALLY hard for me! I get why I've been doing that, it's part of teaching, but I can't make it how she is talked to 24/7, which is what we've been doing without even realizing it. I found it so hard initially but it's been getting much easier and I've been very conscious of how I'm speaking to her and just from the afternoon I could see what a difference it really does make. We're working on engagement with her and trying to get her to attend to activities for longer periods of time. After we have made enough progress in that area, then we'll go back to learn more.

Lily is such a different child now. She has learned, grown and progressed so much despite all the obstacles and challenges that she is faced with. I couldn't be more proud or more convinced that she will lose her diagnosis. I can't wait to bring her back next year for her to be evaluated again! Won't they be so shocked with what they see!

No comments: